World District Standards
Whereas, the Earth Constitution has provisions for the delineation and operation of world electoral and administrative districts, specifically in Earth Constitution Article Sections: 2.4., 2.5., 5.3., 8.3., 9.1., 17.1., 17.3., 17.4., 17.5., 19.2.2., and 19.3. of the Earth Constitution. These sections suggest a standard structure for the world districts;
Whereas, prior legislation of the World Parliament has adopted world legislation giving additional standard structure to the world electoral and administrative districts, specifically provisions in World Legislative Acts 05, 11, 26, 29, 31, 54, 63, and 67 of the body of world legislation;
Whereas, Earth Constitution Article Section 13.16 states that a prime Directive Principle of Earth Federation is “encouragement for cultural diversity, encouragement for decentralized administration.”;
Whereas, science and philosophy show that self-actualizing and self-governing systems ( including the galaxies, the star systems, the planetary systems, as well as living things) produce themselves and operate in accordance with fractal mathematical processes that render the structures “as above, so below”;
As an adequately defined structure and function for world districting is essential for the provisional and operative stages of the Earth Federation;
This 15th session of World Parliament, meeting December 2021 in New Delhi, India, hereby adopts this standard structure and procedure for founding and operating world electoral and administrative districts.
- For simplicity, people and world legislation may refer to world electoral and administrative districts with the term “world district “, or with the acronyms WEAD or WD.
- The World Boundaries and Election Administration (WBEA or WCPA standing electoral commission, global) shall continue work done for districting or for re-districting from residents of the respective world districts. The WBEA shall implement the Hackett-Newcombe plan for world districting, adopting work done to date insofar as meeting Earth Constitution standards. The WBEA shall receive or draw up further proposals for world districts delineation. Polished assignment of world district lines is subject to review and approval of the World Parliament.
- World districts form as cooperative benevolent associations. World districts adhere to the internationally-accepted Rochdale Principles, q.v.: 3.1) voluntary open membership; 3.2) democratic member control; 3.3) member economic participation; 3.4) autonomy and independence; 3.5) education, training and information; 3.6) cooperation among cooperatives; and 3.7) concern for community. Participation is voluntary in the sense that participants join by intent without duress from the world district to join, yet subject to world law of Earth Constitution and Earth Federation.
- Each branch and administration (ministry) of Earth Federation manifests in similar order within each world district. Local world district residents directly elect each officer of the branches via general elections of the Earth Federation. Adult current residents of the world district who commit to maintain local district residency throughout term of office, and who otherwise qualify for office by provisions of the Earth Constitution and world legislation are eligible as candidates in world district elections. Apart from elected officers’ immediate office staff assistants, elected officers use local World Civil Service Commission to draw and appoint world district staff openings from the civil service lists. World civil service personnel hold position during competency and are not subject to political cycles.
- For world district suffrage rights, world district residents need not be citizens of any particular state or continental federation. Residents retain suffrage rights in world district elections regardless of past or current legal status. For youth preparation in duty of suffrage, youth 14 through 17 years of age have suffrage right of secret straw vote, the common results of which are public. The world courts and other Earth Federation decision-making bodies may consider the youth vote results as advisory.
- World district officers operate in a matrix-management system process, which means that world district officers are accountable to answer (report) directly to the residents of the world district, directly to the other officers of the particular world district administration, as well as directly to the Regional and global Earth Federation authorities.
- If a matter is internal to the world district, world district officers need not immediately involve regional or global Earth Federation authorities. If a matter, action or activity affects two or more world districts, the respective world district officers shall communicate immediately to a regional or global level.
- Structure – Under current population estimates, a world district composes of about 0.79 crore residents (7.9 million residents. This might reflect an electorate between about 0.7 crore and 0.4 crore adult residents. ) The world district electoral commission (WDEC) shall divide the district into ten (10) equally-populous (within +/-10%) world judicial precincts of five (5) world sub-districts of equal population within +/- 10%. Therefore, each judicial precinct will have approximately 7.9 lakh residents (7,90,000 or 790,000 residents, with the adult electorate being something less—perhaps 4 to 6 lakh.). The WDEC shall assign a number zero (0) through nine (9) to designate each world judicial precinct. The WDEC shall assign the number 0 to the primary World District Seat where the plurality of the respective world district offices are established or expected to be established. The WDEC shall assign ordered pairs of contiguous world judicial precincts to form sub-districts: (1,2),(3,4),(5,6),(7,8) and (9,0). Generally, bodies of water are not considered to prevent (count against) contiguity. Sub-districts do not have their own number—for simplicity, the WDEC shall assist the residents of a world district and each constituent sub-district to hold universal plurality plebiscites to assign themselves a name. The WDEC may assign interim names until the plebiscite is feasible during general elections.
- World District Officers – At general elections each five years, the resident electorate of each world electoral & administrative district judicial precinct may vote for the following officers: 9.01. one world judicial precinct general manager; 9.02. one sub-district manager; 9.03. a judicial precinct auditor; 9.04. a sub-district auditor; 9.05. a world sub-district attorney; 9.06. a world sub-district ombudsan; 9.07. a world sub-district sheriff; 9.08. a District Public Service Commissioner; 9.09. a member to the House of Peoples; 9.10. as many world judges as the district might need to well serve the world district electoral function; 9.11. (Reserved for provision upon state preliminary ratifications of Earth Constitution.) 9.12. Any particular referendums, initiatives or plebiscites; 9.13. Youth 14 to 17 years of age may take straw vote on the above ballot, and also vote for a judicial precinct youth council representative. (Adults 18 years of age or older don’t vote for any Youth Council Representative.) Qualifications of a candidate for Youth Council Representative is affirmation of the Earth Constitution, residency in the world district, and 14 to 17 years of age at the time of the general election.
- By-elections – The World District Electoral Commission (WDEC) shall, within 30 days, call by-elections in the event of death, severe incapacitation or recall of any elected world district officer. WDEC shall conduct the by-elections within 60 days of respective vacating of office. WDEC shall conduct By-electoral inaugurations within 90 days of the respective vacating of office. Officers elected in by-election hold office until the following inauguration. By-election does not count toward any term limits.
- Recall elections – The world district electorate may recall any world district elected officer, including Members of Parliament, neither for political stance, political actions, nor alleged “moral turpitude” but for probable cause of world felony. Any district officer indicted by a grand jury determining probable cause is subject to trial in world court.
- From vote among themselves, within respective offices, the following officers shall determine an order of annual rotation to serve as the primary world district officer of the respective function: 12.1. sub-district general manager; 12.2. sub-district auditor; 12.3. sub-district attorney; 12.4. sub-district ombudsan; and 12.5. sub-district sheriff.
- The World District General Manager, with assistance from the sub-district managers, coordinates the administrative functions of the world district. In particular, the World District General Manager works with the Senior Administrators and the Secretariat of the Secretary General’s office. World District Auditor assesses the functions of the World District. In particular, the World District Auditor works with agencies of the Integrative Complex and with the World Ombudsmus. The Public Service Commissioner works as liaison between public utilities and the public. The Youth Council Representative works to help adults make better decisions in regards to the youth of the world, and in particular, to help discover best practices for ensuring that world youth get proper training and guidance for good participation as adults in the Earth Federation. The roles (functions) of the World District Attorney (WLA14), the World District Ombudsan (WLA31), the World District Sheriff (WLA54), World District Judges (WLA 15, 20, 24 &. 37) and other elected positions are defined in respective world legislation of the World Parliament.
- The world district standard empowers all officers of the World District to call periodic or occasional public hearings regarding their particular functions, to hear public concerns, complaints and disagreements, and to seek amiable resolution of world problems in the world district. Officers shall work with the World District Manager for scheduling of hearings.
- The world district standard encourages officers of the world district to listen to peoples’ assemblies for the understanding of world district residents’ concerns, for identification of potential candidates for world district office, and for the reception of initiative legislative actions. The World Parliament has committed support for peoples’ assemblies (WLA29). The world districts are accountable for facilitating the convening of peoples’ assemblies in conformance with World Legislative Act Number 29.
- Interim (Provisional) elections – As a voluntary cooperative, initial world district organizers may elect interim (pro tempore) officers from among themselves. Initial organizers may establish their own interim terms and term limits. Members of the World Constitution and Parliament Association (WCPA) may serve as initial organizers and officers. However, rather than WCPA membership, only at least 18 years of age, respective world district residency and affirmation of the Earth Constitution as the supreme law of Earth within humanity’s institution of law is required for interim officer posts, except for the respective five heads of the three law branches: judiciary, attorney and ombudsmus. Law branch interim officers’ qualification also requires certification from the Institute on Governmental Procedures and World Problems (IGPWP, IGPWP/WCSA) for interim service within the world district. Individuals affirming the Earth Constitution are agreeing to abide by the provisional law of the Earth Federation. Affirmants are Earth Federation citizens subject to decision of their respective world district courts and world district administrations, yet with all rights of the Earth Constitution Bill of Rights and other rights recognized by world legislation.
- For continuity of function, the world district WBEA Commission shall list the candidates for world district office in any direct popular referendum for the Earth Constitution. If ratified, then elected officers receive inauguration. Then, the world district has operative, rather than interim status. Interim service does not count toward established term limits of the Earth Federation.
- The World Parliament adopts the World District Template, Abridged (E. A. Q. Almand and K. J. Evans, 2019, or a revised version) as a standard auxiliary text for understanding, promoting, implementing and operating the world districts, with this world legislative act and any other world legislation superseding any point of variance.
- The World District may adopt its own further policies and procedures not in violation of the Earth Constitution, and not in violation of this or other world legislation, or other established administrative policies of the Earth Federation.
Annex 1. World District Template, Abridged, by Eugenia Almand and Kalani James Evans
Annex 2. World District Regular Dodecahedron Mnemonic “As above, So below” in comparison simply shows tight similarity of Earth Federation global level structure with world district level structure.